We’re born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we’re not alone.
How many times in your life have you lived alone and thought, “Oh my God! how am I going to pass my time”? Sometimes in life, things come to such a stage were you either have enough money to rent out a house by yourself or you find yourself in a place where there not many agreeable people to share your place with.
If you have spent most of your life sharing rooms with friends or colleagues, living alone will come as a rude shock to you. Living alone in a house can be at times nerve wracking. You might imagine what happened to the jovial, friendly person you were, whose ability to attract friends and companions was phenomenal. Well things are not always the same, life comes with its little ups and downs.
The situation mostly arises when you move out of your city to an alien place with a different language, different culture and a different lifestyle (Of Course, there could be other reasons such as getting dumped or just plainly preferring to be alone). You feel like a fish out of water. You left your girlfriend, friends, cousins and neighbours for that seemingly wonderful job in a place you didn’t like that much, thinking you can adjust. But hey! here you don’t have any friends to call upon, workmates suck, job is killing you and your boss is a double faced psychopath. The best (or is it the worst) of all the worlds have descended upon you.
However your paycheck is still good, so you have rented a decent place and decided to live alone. The difficult part is adjusting to the life of being alone. But don’t despair yet, your life is still in your hands. Here are 10 things that you can do to feel comfortable while living alone.
1. Make a list of things you always wanted to do but never had the time since you were busy hanging out with friends.
2. Cooking is a very good pastime. Especially planning to prepare some food can compel you to go to the market and get all the stuff needed for it.
3. Join a gym. This will have the double benefit of making you feel high and improving your health and who knows you might meet someone like-able. Since you are living alone you don’t have to worry about making time available for someone else.
4. Take up reading. Just take a membership in a library or go to a bookstore and buy a few books. Books are excellent company when you are living all alone and the silence definitely helps.
5. Remember to treat yourself well occasionally. Go to a fancy restaurant, eat to your hearts content, watch a movie and generally enjoy life. You will find that you can enjoy all these things even without company. If you find happy couples holding hands or large groups of young people loitering around remind yourself that good times will return.
6. If you feel like drinking, go to a pub have a beer or whiskey. However alcohol is not the best company when you are alone, it can make you feel awfully depressed. Remember to eat fruits the next day, lime juice with a good amount of salt will cure some of the hangover. Fruits are important because drinking causes essential vitamins and minerals to be lost through dehydration.
7. If you like music, download the latest ones or the ones you always loved into your ipod and listen to it.
8. Learning to play the guitar or keyboard could be an interesting and valuable addition to your life and being alone gives you all the time in the world to practice.
9. There are a lot of places offering courses in foreign languages. Alliance francaise is a good place to learn french. You can also try and learn Arabic or Mandarin, which is much more difficult.
10. And remember to make friends. Often a friendly smile or lending a helping hand can earn you one. In spite of the differences in cultures or lifestyles, there are good people almost everywhere, just don’t miss out on an opportunity when you get one.
And not to forget living alone can be an enjoyable experience which you will grow to love. After all getting up when you want to, leaving your clothes unwashed, eating whatever you like and whenever you like can be quite addictive.